[Q-e-developers] invitation to tutor at UK workshop

barbara.montanari at stfc.ac.uk barbara.montanari at stfc.ac.uk
Mon Nov 2 11:35:51 CET 2015

Dear Quantum Espresso developers,
I am contacting you to invite two Quantum Espresso experts to tutor at the joint MCC-UKCP-EPCC workshop on ab initio periodic codes on HPC, which will take place 19th-22nd January 2016 at the Daresbury Laboratory, England.

At this advanced workshop, participants will perform calculations with up to five or six different ab initio periodic codes on ARCHER, the latest UK National Supercomputing Service. Your role will be to offer guidance to expert users of DFT periodic codes who want to begin to use, or improve their knowledge of, Quantum Espresso.

The workshop is organised jointly by the Edinburgh Parallel Computing Centre (EPCC), home of ARCHER, and two UK High End Computing Consortia that provide ARCHER computing resources to their members: the Materials Chemistry Consortium (MCC), and the United Kingdom Car Parrinello (UKCP) Consortium.  The memberships of these two consortia accounts for a large proportion of UK-based Academic users of ab initio periodic codes.

The objectives of the workshop are:

1.      Offer guidance on efficient deployment of codes on ARCHER according to the requirements of the different applications

2.      Explore capabilities of codes other than the ones individual participants use routinely

3.      Help establish links among MCC and UKCP members, code experts and EPCC staff
Thanks to the hands-on focus of the workshop, participants will be able to familiarise themselves with codes by using existing code-specific tutorials, and begin to apply codes they are not familiar with to systems of their interest. Tutors will give general presentations on the codes, and offer guidance in the hands-on sessions and one-to-one discussions.

All travel, accommodation and subsistence expenses of all tutors will be reimbursed by the organising bodies.

I hope that you will be able to represent Quantum Espresso at this workshop, and I would appreciate an answer by the end of this week (ie Friday 6th November). I look forward to hearing from you and please don't hesitate to contact me, should you need more details.

Kind Regards,

Barbara Montanari
---
Dr Barbara Montanari MInstP
Leader: Theoretical and Computational Physics Group
Deputy Head: Applications Division
STFC Scientific Computing Department, Rutherford Appleton Laboratory
T: +44 (0)1235 77 8134