[Q-e-developers] Re: Next Quantum ESPRESSO release -- June 20th

nisihara225 at gmail.com nisihara225 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 17:00:34 CEST 2015

Dear Dr. Paolo Giannozzi,

I am sorry for the delay in my reply.

> My suggestion for the next release is to align 3D-RISM-SCF to the QE version that will be released (this should be easy);

> to release 3D-RISM-SCF as a modified QE (not yet sure how in practice, if as a patch, or as a bunch of modified routines,

> or as new PW/src and Modules/ directories); then, to start seriously to think at how to merge it into QE.

> Unfortunately, merging takes a lot of time and nobody is really in charge of it (in the future this may change, hopefully).

As you point out, the 3D-RISM-SCF works inside the self-consistent loop.

And it may require careful consideration and enough time to merge the code.

I accept your suggestion to avoid the integration of the 3D-RISM-SCF for the next release of Q.E.

I hope it will be integrated in the future.

> About "custom" FFTs: these are used only in hybrid calculations, to speed up the computation of (V_x\psi)(r) using FFTs

> with a grid corresponding to a reduced cutoff (this is 1-2 times ecutwfc, the cutoff for plane waves used

> in the expansion of \psi(r)=\sum_G\psi(G) e^{iGr}, instead of 4*ecutwfc, needed in principle to perform the exact computation).

> I am surprised to hear that this is used in 3D-RISM-SCF (or are you planning to use them in the future)?

I know well the calculation of exact-exchange with reduced FFT’s mesh,

because I have implemented Hybrid-GGA to another first-principles software.

In the 3D-RISM-SCF, the purpose to use “Custom” FFTs is to speed up the computation  (same as exact-exchange).

Solvent’s distributions have to be calculated by “Dense” FFTs, strictly.

However, “Custom” FFTs with small cutoff yield little decreasing of precision and a lot of speed-up.

Thus, I have used “Custom” FFTs, and I will use them in the future.

If you change or repeal the implementation of “Custom” FFTs,

I would like for you to remain their versatility or

to prepare another generic modules of FFT with arbitrary cutoff.

Regards,

Satomichi Nishihara