[Q-e-developers] Separate build directory for QE

Axel Kohlmeyer akohlmey at temple.edu
Wed Sep 10 13:29:41 CEST 2014

On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 1:19 PM, Paolo Giannozzi
<paolo.giannozzi at uniud.it> wrote:
> I also have occasionally the same problem with the coexistence
> of serial/parallel/openmp builds. My not-so-smart solution
> until now has been to clean and recompile, or to keep several
> copies of the sources. If there is a solution that doesn't
> imply messing up too much the present build system, I am in
> favor (CC: to Axel who may have better ideas than mine).

that is fairly easy to answer. build systems like autoconf/automake or
cmake do in principle support out-of-source builds. cmake even
strongly encourages it. however, Q-E only uses part of the
autoconf/automake setup (only the autoconf part) and otherwise has its
own strategy. so the answer is "not without a major rewrite of the
build system". having multiple checkouts is as close as you can get.

axel.

p.s.: it is really funny, that i was having the very same discussion
over the last days with a couple of the LAMMPS developers.

Dr. Axel Kohlmeyer  akohlmey at temple.edu