[Q-e-developers] Next QE release

Michael Banck mbanck at debian.org
Sun Oct 26 22:47:33 CET 2014

Hi Paolo,

On Sun, Oct 26, 2014 at 09:44:42PM +0100, Paolo Giannozzi wrote:
> On Sun, 2014-10-26 at 17:42 +0100, Michael Banck wrote:
>
> > 1. The release notes mention "TB09 meta-GGA functional (requires
> > libxc)", but I couldn't find any documentation whatsoever on how
> > libxc is supposed to be integrated/compiled in?  I think this
> > should be documented somewhere, e.g. in the Installation section
> > of the user manual.
>
> support for libxc is something I prefer not to announce yet. I have
> removed the line about TB09.

Ok.

> > 2. The copyright violations in TDDFPT/ColorCalculator have not been
> > fixed it seems.
>
> you mean: the presence of the two binaries colorCalculator4.jar and
> ColorCalculator5.jar? Removed, there are instructions on how to compile
> them.

Well that, and all the .class files which do not have a corresponding
source (.java) file, as they are from 3rd-party modules.

I had a quick look, and the two Debian package libjcommon-java and
libjfreechart-java seem to provide those .class files in their .jars.

So there are two options after removing the .class files:

1. Adjust README/Install to tell the user to download those .jars from
elsewhere and add them to the classpath when assembling the jar.

2.  Include the corresponding .java files for those.  However, that'll
make compilation a bit more difficult, but maybe 'javac `find . -name
"*.java"`' would suffice already.

That said, I will not include that Java app in the Debian package for
now anyway, as that would mean adding a dependency on a Java runtime for
the (headless) QE package, which looks excessive.  I might look at
including it in a seperate package in the future possibly, if this seems
worthwhile.

As those 3rd party Java libraries are free software, I am less sure you
are in some legal danger by distributing them, but I guess it is a legal
grey area.  I'll remove them from the TDDFPT tarball for now.

> > Apart from that, I did not find any issues.  As the Debian release
> > freeze is pending in the next days, I'd like to upload this ASAP to get
> > the bug fixes in, so let me know if the tarballs will get changed before
> > release.
>
> I just updated espresso-5.1.1.tar.gz and tddfpt-5.1.1.tar.gz. I'll let
> you know if there are further corrections. Thank you

Thanks.

Michael