[Q-e-developers] participating in a 6-week CECAM working workshop on electronic structure

Nicola Marzari nicola.marzari at epfl.ch
Fri May 9 10:20:59 CEST 2014

Dear All,

Emilio Artacho is organizing a 6-week activity this summer at CECAM (EPFL),
starting at the end of june, devoted to the development of shared
electronic-structure
libraries, and he is looking for volunteers from the QE community. Stefano
de Gironcoli will also participate, so you could ideally liaise with him.

A more detailed description is in the email below, and in the
attachment; I also
just iterated with him on the current plans, and here below is what he
reports.

If you are interested, and have the time, it could be a great way to
connect more
with the broader community, and even direct what could happen. I presume
CECAM
would cover expenses, but do check with Emilio!

				nicola

---
1. dealings with localised orbitals, mainly solvers, with sparse-matrix
techniques
    (that's why the project you have with Jürg in the Swiss
supercomputer centre
    is so interesting!)

2. Grid stuff: xc, multigrid solvers, and related

3. Possible utilities (routines useful in codes): pseudos, symmetries, etc.

Some team members are interested in MD solvers. This is a whole field on
its own, and I'd think it should be focus of another effort, but I think
it could be
good to have some basic atom-moving routines that are common in any
ES code.

The first two points imply heavy computation, and a good definition of the
parallelisation underneath, which connects with purely parallelisation /
architecture issues. (the third is not so computer-savvy).

We will try to incorporate modern coding strategies as the AGILE
techniques of IBM (e.g scrums etc) which can be seen as an interesting
training experience.
---