[Q-e-developers] suggestion

Paolo Giannozzi paolo.giannozzi at uniud.it
Sun Mar 16 14:36:46 CET 2014

On Fri, 2014-03-14 at 23:05 -0500, Eric Baxter wrote:

> I made a bad choice in assigning $TMP_DIR and wound up losing all
> of the user data in my account because of the rm -rf $TMP_DIR/*
> instruction in the script. This was entirely due to my own
> carelessness, but I suppose I am not the only one.

sorry to hear about that. This is why recent versions of file
"environment_variables" contain the following warning:

# TMP_DIR = temporary directory to be used by the examples
#     Make sure that it is writable by you and that it doesn't contain
#     any valuable data (EVERYTHING THERE WILL BE DESTROYED)
[...]
# Beware: everything in $TMP_DIR will be destroyed !
TMP_DIR=$PREFIX/tempdir

why the default temporary directory is a subdirectory of the directory
where espresso is, or should be, and why all examples are being modified
in such a way that only files produced by QE are deleted. So you may not
be the only one, but hopefully you are the last.

Paolo Giannozzi, Dept. Chemistry&Physics&Environment,