[Q-e-developers] Mixing and optimization collaborators ?

Laurence Marks L-marks at northwestern.edu
Thu Oct 24 14:33:33 CEST 2013

There is no generic version yet, it is not be too hard for me to
modify the existing version. The complicated part where collaboration
matters is designing how it couples to DFT codes plus of course the
testing.

My preliminary thinking is several components:
a) The core algorithm which is mainly lapack calls for relatively
small matrices in most cases.
b) DFT code dependent routines to pack/unpack the basis set, atomic
positions, Hubbard U (if used) and anything else.
c) DFT code dependent routines for trust region control, I.e. ones
that tell the algorithm if a step is not viable, for instance moves
the atoms too much or (APW specific) would lead to overlapping
spheres.
d) Some method for the DFT code to tune some parameters plus user
control. There should be very few user control parameters.
e) Some sort of user output.

Planning before coding is smart although we dont always do it.

--
Professor Laurence Marks
Northwestern University