[Q-e-developers] gamma_only inconsistency in xspectra

Guido Fratesi fratesi at mater.unimib.it
Wed Dec 18 12:23:06 CET 2013

Dear QE developers,

let me report about xspectra an inconsistency between the flag
gamma_only (read from pw save file) and the kpoint mesh, which is read
from input.

That would produce wrong results for NEXAFS calculations of, e.g.,
molecules in the gas phase, where pw.x is commonly run with gamma_only
algorithms, unless the user is especially aware and runs an intermediate
pw.x nscf with k-points.

Comments, results, and scripts for a quick test for C2H2 molecule are
attached for your consideration. The problem is also subtle because in
small molecules the spectrum may immediately appear as "wrong", but only
careful analysis shows that the spectrum is indeed incorrect for larger
molecules including several atoms of the same species.

Best wishes,
Guido Fratesi

PS the archive (1.5MB) is available from
http://www.sendspace.com/file/cy3sr3

--
Guido Fratesi

Dipartimento di Scienza dei Materiali
Universita` degli Studi di Milano-Bicocca
via Cozzi 55, 20125 Milano, Italy

Phone: +39 02 6448 5183
email: fratesi at mater.unimib.it
web:   https://sites.google.com/site/guidofratesi/