[Q-e-developers] [Pw_forum] IMPORTANT: QE Open Invitation to Contribute

Carlo Cavazzoni c.cavazzoni at cineca.it
Wed Oct 3 09:51:46 CEST 2012

Il 02/10/2012 22:45, Filippo Spiga ha scritto:
> Dear Stefano,
>
> as you an many others already know, I am involved in the GPU porting
> of QE, together with Ivan Girotto (ICTP) and hopefully two new people
> based in US. The QE-GPU code is on QE-FORGE (
> http://qe-forge.org/gf/project/q-e-gpu/ ) and it is still a work in
> progress (if you want to contribute, drop me an email!). It works as a
> plugin for QE so basically it is (almost) aligned with the current
> official release and/or the current SVN version. We have a stable
> release, aligned with QE 5.0.1 but I am working now on new features on
> new packages. I am also broadly involved in other stuff around the
> main distribution.
>
> I catch the opportunity to spend few words about the versioning
> system. I do like the GIT philosophy, the fact that it is light and
> distributed and fast. But I also believe that it is a pain. I tried
> it. GIT is not the solution, GIT is a tool like SVN or CVS. Actually
> we can efficiently use SVN by simply follow a basic rule: work on an
> update local copy. I do not understand why people do not do "svn
> update" every time they start to coding. I do that. All the time. We
> have to say honestly that merging two versions of the code that are
> temporally distant is a pain whatever versioning tool is used. So
> before start any discussion about change what we have (a change is not
> the solution) is much better to work to change our habits and always
> have in mind that we are not alone but there is a wide community that
> makes new developments and changes on the code every day. That's my
> opinion as computer scientist who works with non-computer scientists
> (and lot of them are much much more capable than me).

I completely agree with Filippo,
and I would like to suggest just another useful (at least to me) habit,
before doing "svn update" (every day!) do an "svn diff -r HEAD" between
local version and the trunk
just to see if there are any possible non detectable conflicts (two guys
working on the same
file but on different lines ) that may break-up the development you are
doing.
This will, keep you development version up-to-date and working (or not
working) properly.
Time to time someone may add a bug to your local version too,
but, usually, this will not last longer, and I think it is a good
collaborative practice if
you do not wait someone else to fix the bug, and help the developer
introducing the bug to solve it,

carlo

--
Ph.D. Carlo Cavazzoni
SuperComputing Applications and Innovation Department