[Q-e-developers] [Pw_users] IMPORTANT: QE Open Invitation to Contribute

Samuel Huberman samuel.huberman at utoronto.ca
Tue Oct 2 17:21:23 CEST 2012

Hi,

This is a great initiative. At this point, I think it would benefit the
community to make the merging of future contributions as hassle-free as
possible. I suggest using a decentralized VCS like git. If I recall
correctly, the idea of moving QE onto github has been mentioned before.
Perhaps now would be a good time to reconsider this option.

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 2:43 AM, Stefano de Gironcoli <degironc at sissa.it>wrote:

>  *=========================================**
> **
> **- OPEN INVITATION TO CONTRIBUTE -**
> **
> **TO: All users and developers who would like to share their independent**
> **local developments of tools and features written for Quantum ESPRESSO**
> **package with the community. **
> **=========================================*
>
> Dear All,
>
> Quantum ESPRESSO (QE) is a very successful initiative thanks to the effort
> and contribution of you, as developers and users, which we gratefully
> acknowledge.  Our community and software, in the spirit of open source,
> has grown outside the borders of its initial creation.
> We are excited by the news of several independent developments, analysis
> tools and new features that have been developed in excellent research
> groups scattered around the globe.
>
> However, we have come to realize that some of these developments,
> although they would be of great value to the community, have not found
> their way into the current distribution of QE package, and therefore do
> not get their deserved visibility and recognition.
>
> One reason for this may be the legitimate interest of a group to keep
> these developments private. We believe, however, that a more common
> reason is that these features have been implemented, often with some
> significant effort, in an outdated QE version: porting them to the
> current version would require a considerable effort. This, however,
> forces the potentially contributing group to use an outdated QE version,
> thus preventing them from benefiting from new features and bug fixes.
> We believe this is a problem that needs to be addressed.
>
> Of course, there is no easy solution but we would like to start exploring
> some possible options.  As a first practical action, we would like
> to compile an inventory of independent developments, in the form of
> features/analysis tools/developments, implemented in some version of QE,
> that would be happily shared if the "porting issue" could be solved.
>
> The main purpose of this message is therefore to invite all potentially
> interested contributors to send a statement of their possible contribution
> to the address q-e-developers at qe-forge.org.
>
> Everybody willing to be involved (or to be kept updated) in this process
> is welcome to subscribe to the q-e-developers mailing list
> (http://www.qe-forge.org/mailman/listinfo/q-e-developers, see also
> CONTACTS section of www.quantum-espresso.org).
>
>    Best regards,
>
>    Stefano de Gironcoli, Paolo Giannozzi, Layla MartinSamos, Emine
> Kucukbenli, Stefano Baroni

Samuel Huberman
MASc Candidate
Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering
University of Toronto
http://www.mie.utoronto.ca/labs/atoms/