[Q-e-developers] [Pw_forum] QE installation on standard HPC machines.

Filippo Spiga spiga.filippo at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 16:53:19 CEST 2012

Ciao Emine,

you idea is not bad at all. Having a set of different reference outputs will surely help users to understand and maybe detect what went wrong during the configure/compile process on their machines. Especially for Tier-0 or Tier-1 machines in Europe (Tier-0 and Tier-1) where there is such a wide diversity of systems and environments. Lot of people sometimes give up or waste a lot of time for something that has to be easy and fast.

I am afraid, the real problem/challenge is the environment. Every system has its own environment and set of modules and specific paths where libraries and compiler are installed. Sometimes when it changes it is a real pain. In any case, starting to collect feedback will help to improve the configure and reduce the necessity to edit manually the make.sys (a very dangerous thing if someone is not expert a bit…)

Carlo works mainly on IBM systems and he has plenty of examples about how compile & run on BlueGene/P or BlueGene/Q. I have an access to several CRAY XT/XE/XK systems so I can work on it (if you have a problem using CSCS clusters send me an email directly).  We need to agree about a file format/name convention before put anything in the repository.

Paolo, Layla… what do you think about this?

Cheers,
F.

--
Mr. Filippo SPIGA, M.Sc., Ph.D. Candidate
CADMOS - Chair of Numerical Algorithms and HPC (ANCHP)

«Nobody will drive us out of Cantor's paradise.» ~ David Hilbert