[Q-e-developers] CPU/RAM Config for Quantum ESPRESSO

Uwe Lemnitz uwe_lemnitz at hotmail.de
Thu Jul 1 16:26:52 CEST 2010

Dear all,
I am currently facing requirements fro on customer looking for a new HPC to run quantum ESPRESSO. The HPC should be based on latest CPU generation – 4/6 core Intel or 8/12 core AMD and should provide the best price/performance ratio.
I would be grateful to get any indication based on your experiences, what a best configuration for such a machine would be. Most important details, I would like to ask for are:
- 4/6 core Intel vs. 8/12 core AMD?
- Preferred clock speed of the CPU?
- RAM setting

However, any useful hints to get best performance would be really appreciated.
Thanks in advance and best regards
Uwe Lemnitz
Sales
PARTEC GmbH