[Q-e-developers] makedeps script

Paolo Giannozzi giannozz at democritos.it
Sun Aug 15 11:29:11 CEST 2010

On Jul 22, 2010, at 14:29 , Gabriele Sclauzero wrote:

>     at the moment the makedeps.sh script in install/ does not
> search for
> dependencies in flib or clib directories, so that if I modify a file
> there and then issue, for instance, "make pw" the library is
> rebuilt but
> pw.x is not linked against the new library. Is it possible to fix
> that?

there should be a "dependency" (in the Makefile) of executables upon
libraries that should force re-linking. For instance, now in PW/Makefile
there is a line like

pw.x : $(PWOBJS) libpw.a

I guess this should be something like

pw.x : $(PWOBJS) libpw.a $(LIBOBJS)

Disclaimer: I am no expert in Makefiles and never really understood
how it works.
My knowledge of Makefiles comes from experiment rather than from
theory. I
tend to keep the Makefiles as simple as possible, because several
times I noticed
that adding more dependencies has unintended consequences (i.e.
unnecessary
  recompilation or linking)

> Is it safe to add clib and flib as additional directories where to
> search for dependencies?
> That is to say, have in the makedeps.sh script something like
>
>          PW | CPV )
>                    DEPENDS="$DEPENDS ../clib ../flib ../Modules ../EE"

I don't think this is useful: "makedeps.sh" finds dependencies via
f90 modules,
or via #include directives. There are no such dependencies in flib/;
those in clib/
are already accounted for