[Wannier] Question over the Amn(k) matrix

Mostofi, Arash a.mostofi at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Nov 7 18:00:09 CET 2018

Dear Hung,

You need to think of the projection function g_{n}(r) as being localised in all space, and the integral A_{mn}^{k} = < \psi_{mk} | g_{n} > as being over all space:

A_{mn}^{k} = \int_{all space} dr \psi_{mk}(r) g_{n}(r)

Then use Bloch’s theorem to write \psi_{mk}(r) = u_{mk}(r) e^{ik.r}, where u_{mk}(r) is a function that has the periodicity of the unit cell and, therefore, can be expressed as a Fourier series u_{mk}(r) = \sum_{G} c_{mk,G} e^{iG.r}, where G is a reciprocal lattice vector of the unit cell. Then you’ll see that you can write A_{mn}^{k} as a sum in G-space involving the Fourier coefficients of u_{mk}(r) (essentially the eigenvectors that come out of an electronic structure calculation) and the Fourier transform of g_{n}(r) at specific k+G vectors. So A_{mn}^{k} can be evaluated quite easily on the reciprocal-space Fourier mesh. This is, I believe, the way it’s done in pw2wannier90 — Stefano de Gironcoli did the original implementation of that.

I’m not sure about implementations in the interfaces to other electronic structure codes but, in principle, you could evaluate A_{mn}^{k} in real space too. You would need to use a supercell and your domain of integration needs to be large enough for g_n(r) to have decayed sufficiently to converge the truncated real-space integral.

Best wishes,

Arash