[Wannier] Problem with disentanglement

Mostofi, Arash a.mostofi at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Mar 29 13:28:18 CEST 2017

Dear Christoph,

The input parameter num_bands should be equal to the number of rows/columns in the overlap matrix M_{mn}(k,b) matrix that is fed into Wannier90. In the case of the 5 isolated d-orbitals, presumably you set

exclude_bands = 6-44

then computed the 5x5 M matrix at each (k,b), and used num_wann=5 (and num_bands=5). Here there is no disentanglement as you are computing 5 WFs from 5 isolated bands.

Now that you want to wannierise the other bands, you need the full M matrix (or at least with only bands 1-5 excluded, for example). So you need to recalculate M, and set num_bands appropriately. Then you’ll have something like num_wann=12, num_bands=44 (if you’ve not excluded the d states), and the code will try to disentangle and wannierise.

Hope this helps,

Arash

—
Arash Mostofi — www.mostofigroup.org<http://www.mostofigroup.org>