[Wannier] Wannier functions' spreads increasing

Giovanni Pizzi giovanni.pizzi at epfl.ch
Thu Nov 12 14:11:24 CET 2015

Dear Aron,
as a first preliminary suggestion, I think that you need to make sure
the convergence criterion for disentanglement is well satisfied - I have
the feeling that you behavior may also be linked to the fact that you
did not finish the convergence of the disentanglement, even if I have to
admit I have never seen before such a behavior for my systems.

Giovanni

On 11/12/2015 01:06 PM, szaboa wrote:
> Dear Wannier90 experts,
>
> I'm facing an issue I don't understand, so I would appreciate any
> help. My projections produce very well localized initial states (<2
> A^2 for each state), but after one iteration many of the Wannier
> functions' spreads become huge (>1000). Those are states whose centers
> are also translated to a periodic replica of the unit cell after one
> step. I'm using guiding centres, but it does not help.
> It is a supercell of a 2D heterostructure (435 atoms), with a
> hexagonal lattice, and a large out-of plane vacuum region. I'm using a
> 3x3x1 K point grid, but I've got the same problem with a 2x2x1 grid
> too, except that it was not the same set of Wannier functions that
> exhibited that weird behavior. In one case I've used 50
> disentanglement steps, but it did not change anything compared to only
> 10 steps.
> I'm attaching the win and wout files. I would be grateful for any
> hints on what might cause this problem or how to circumvent it.
>
> Best regards,
> Aron Szabo
> IIS, ETH Zurich

Giovanni Pizzi