[Wannier] The meaning of wannier_hr.dat

Mostofi, Arash a.mostofi at imperial.ac.uk
Sun Dec 14 12:28:55 CET 2014

Dear Hassan,

Each line in hr.dat refers to an element of H_{mn}(R) = <w_m(0)|H|w_n(R)>. The first three entries in each line give the translation vector R, the next two give the WF indices m and n, and the last two are the real and imaginary parts of the matrix element itself. See the User Guide Sec. 8.18, for example. The order of the indices m and n are the same order in which the WFs appear at the end of the wannier90 output file (*.wout), so which atoms are referred to by a particular hopping matrix element with indices m and n depends on where the wannier functions w_m and w_n are centred in the cell.

Whilst the WFs themselves are orthogonal, you would not expect the matrix representation of the Hamiltonian in the WF basis to be diagonal in the m and n indices because the WFs are not eigenstates of H. The WFs are, however, localised, so you would expect the matrix elements of H to reflect this.

Hope this helps,

Arash

—
Dr Arash Mostofi — www.mostofigroup.org<http://www.mostofigroup.org>
Imperial College London
Director, Thomas Young Centre @Imperial
Assistant Director, CDT in Theory & Simulation of Materials
Warden, Wilkinson & Weeks Hall