[Wannier] Tunneling hamiltonian hr_plot

Giovanni Pizzi giovanni.pizzi at epfl.ch
Fri Dec 27 11:58:04 CET 2013

Dear Satrio,
first of all I would like to remember that the posting guidelines invite you to sign your posts with your full affiliation.

Regarding your question:

The Hamiltionian in real space IS Hermitian. Probably, you are comparing H(m,n)[R] with H(n,m)[R]. Instead, the correct relationship for the Hamiltonian to be Hermitian is

H(m,n)[R] = H(n,m)[-R]*

because the complex-conjugate elements must refer to the same pair of Wannier functions. To understand this better, remember that
H(m,n)[R] is the matrix element between a Wannier function in position
r_m
and Wannier function in position
r_n + R
therefore if you just fix R, and invert m with n, you are not looking at the same pair anymore; you have instead to also invert the sign of R.

Best,
Giovanni

--
Giovanni Pizzi