[Wannier] Wannier90-VASP: Dipole moment of isolated H20

Nicola Marzari nicola.marzari at epfl.ch
Sat Sep 8 20:46:34 CEST 2012

Dear Maurice,

not sure if this ever had a follw up. Note that the Wannier formalism
uses a reciprocal space representation to descrive <r> and <r^2> - so
quantities like the spreads (very much so) and the centers (much less)
depend on k-point sampling (or one the size of the unit cell, if using
gamma sampling) much mroe that one usually expects - you could have
used a k-point mesh fine enough to converge the electronic structure
(or a supercell largge enough), but not enough to converge the
Wannier-related quantities.

For your water molecule, you should be able to calculate its dipole in
real space just as a charge integral in space, or using a Wannier code -
and you could plot convergence of these quantities.

Some comments on this matter should be also in an old PRB of Umari and
Pasquarello.

All the best,

		nicola