[Wannier] Tight binding band structures based on ab-initio-derived hopping parameters

Giovanni Pizzi giovanni.pizzi at epfl.ch
Thu Apr 19 20:10:51 CEST 2012

Dear Janos,
what you ask is very interesting, but if I understand correctly what you
need, at the moment there is no such tool in Wannier90.

This is not too easy to be done in a general way (even if, in principle,
I think it can be done): you must have a reliable way to "join" together
the Hamiltonian matrices (in real space) of different regions of the system.
These different regions should probably be overlapping, and one will
have to consider the Wannier functions centered on atoms that are in the
"inner" part of each region (Wannier functions at the edges of each
region will be in general different from the actual Wannier functions of
the global system, because they will "feel" the fact that they are at
the edge). How big the overlapping part has to be should be determined
in some way from the cutoff that you want to use.

If you instead want to obtain a sort of TB parametrization which is
general and transferable, I think that this task is even more difficult.

Cheers,
Giovanni Pizzi