[Wannier] question on u_matrix

Deyu Lu deyulu at yahoo.com
Fri May 27 22:11:40 CEST 2011

Dear Wannier90 developers:
     I have a question about some basics of using wannier function.
My current goal is to read the unitary transformation matrix U from wannier 90 and to interface it with Quantum Espresso to achieve some new functionality. Take silane for example, which is the example07 in the tutorial.  Since I didn't find the final result of the U matrix in the main output file, I wrote a  short code based on param_read_chkpt to read u_matrix from the check point file. The results are listed at the end. In order to check if this is correct, I stored the wavefunc from pwscf with pp.x (plot_num= 7,    kpoint=1,    kband   = 1,    lsign   = .true.).
To my understanding the wannier functions can be reproduced from
mixing those wavefunc with u_matrix. However, the xsf file generated this way (using pp.x, e.g., weight(1) = 500, weight(2) = -474.3, weight(3) = -304.5, weight(4) = -657.5) doesn't look like the wannier function obtained directly from wannier 90. Did I miss something?

    Thanks
    Deyu Lu

Deyu Lu
Assistant Physicist, Theory & Computation Group
the Center for Functional Nanomaterials
Rm 1002, Building 735, Brookhaven National Lab
Upton, NY, 11973
webpage: http://www.bnl.gov/cfn/people/?id=24608

 output U matrix
    1    1    1  0.5000E+00  0.0000E+00