[Wannier] Question about the matrix elements in seedname_hr.dat

Saeed Bahramy bahramy at riken.jp
Thu Jun 30 09:40:17 CEST 2011

Dear Wannier90 developers,

I have a supercell for which I've been able to make a TB model using
wannier functions. The TB model seems to be working  fine. However the
transfer matrix elements listed in seedname_hr.dat show somewhat
unexpected values. Let's suppose my supercell consists of two unit
cells along z direction and each cell contains 4 atoms. The relative
positioning of atoms is such that atom #1 of cell #1 (let's call it
A1) is located near the bottom of supercell and atom #4 of cel #2
(let' call it A2) is close to the top of the supercell. In this case,
I expect that the transfer matrix elements between A1-A2  to be quite
small inside the supercell   (rvec= 0 0 0), whereas they should show
appreciable values for rvec=0 0 1. However, what I see is totally
opposite, i.e., A1-A2 elements are large for rvec=0 0 0 and quite
small for rvec = 0 0 0. More strangely, for other two  atoms-adjacent
to each other and  located well inside the first cell- I strangely
encounter the situation which I normally expected for A1 and A2. So
this basically means that the program shifts all the atoms along z-
direction and, hence, assumes a different ordering for atomic
positions inside the supercell. I was wondering, if this is a bug or
there is an option to turn off such a reordering.

Thanking you in advance,

Saeed Bahramy
Correlated Electron Research Group
Advanced Science Institute, RIKEN