[Wannier] Wannier function centers at wrong positions

Jonathan Yates jonathan.yates at materials.ox.ac.uk
Fri Apr 9 18:58:58 CEST 2010

Jan,

 I just wanted to add a few things to Nicolas's reply:

Given that you are using the Gamma-point only routines and your cell is orthorhombic I would expect that any initial projection would work fine - and the minimisation would go rapidly to the minimum. Of course you can test this statement by trying different projections. If you find this not to be true I'd be interested to know.

I assume that you want MLWF to analyse some bonding properties of your material. A common task would be to obtain MLWF for the complete set of valence states (I'm assuming here that your material has a gap). In which case 606 MLWF for 234 atoms seems rather low (so for 234 atoms of SiO2 or GeO2 we'd have 1872 MLWF).
  Are you trying to obtain MWLF for a subset of the valence bands? This will only work if those 606 bands form an isolated set. If not you have to look into the disentanglement routines.

'centers hang somewhere around'
  I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. I assume it is not something as simple as needing to translate by a lattice vector?

Hopefully that has given you some things to try. I think to make any more comments I'd need to see the *.wout file, and know a bit more about your system.

 Yours
  Jonathan

--
Department of Materials, University of Oxford, Parks Road, Oxford, OX1 3PH, UK
tel: +44 (0)1865 612797                http://users.ox.ac.uk/~oums0549/