[Wannier] degenerate bands in group velocity

Jonathan Yates jry20 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Jul 2 13:16:35 CEST 2008

On 2 Jul 2008, at 08:16, nafise rezaei wrote:

Nafise,

  Firstly, I think that the best way to validate your implementation
is to compare the analytic (ie via MLWF) gradients against numeric
gradients (ie via pwscf and a spline fit) along some path in the BZ.
Such as figure 2 in my paper (although this is for curvatures).
Obviously you want to understand the math as well, but I found this
helpful for making sure things were correct.

> I read your "Spectral and Fermi surface properties from Wannier
> interpolation" paper.
> but I do not know exactly, what should I do at the degenerate
> states.?elements off-diagonal HH_alpha(k) matrix are zero at the
> non-degenerate band.Would you please you explain about elements of
> this matrix at the degenerate states? HH_alpha(k) matrix is sum of two
> term: HHbar_alpha(k) term and multiplication of HH(k) and
> DH_alpha(k).
>
> at the degenerate states second term is zero.

So the second (and third) term of Eqn 26 is zero for both degenerate
and non-degenerate states.

> Are elements of first
> matrix (HHbar_alpha(k)) for m/=n zero?

In general they won't be zero (deg or non-degen)

> I wrote program for calculation of group velocity.at  the degenerate
> states elements of HHbar_alpha(k) are zero for (m/=n) and non-zero for
> (m=n) . is this true?

Might be... it depends....

  If you are _exactly_ at a degenerate point (2 bands cross), then
the 2x2 matrix
H^H_\alpha is ill-defined. You can take any combination of those (2)
states at that k and they are still eigenvectors of the Hamiltonian.
The "correct" choice are the vectors which diagonalise the 2x2
submatrix of H^H_\alpha, and the eigenvalues of that (2x2) matrix are
the band gradients.

  The question is "in a numeric implementation, how close to a
degenerate point do you have to be to use the degenerate theory". In
my experience you rarely need to worry about degenerate points for
band gradients. Take Fig 2. You will hit the degenerate point at
gamma (unless you shift your kpoint grid) - but the gradients are
both zero. The crossing between Gamma and K has zero measure -
however fine I sampled I could not find it to sufficient accuracy
that I needed to use the degenerate form - maybe this is what is
happening in your case.
  As above: benchmark this against the numeric gradients to give you
a feel for how sensitive these things are at degenerate points.

  If you want to compute curvatures then you need to worry more about
degeneracies

  Jonathan

--
Dr Jonathan Yates         |    Theory of Condensed Matter Group
Corpus Christi College    |    Cavendish Laboratory