[Wannier] parameter to control convergence

Tadashi Ogitsu ogitsu at llnl.gov
Tue Aug 29 19:33:48 CEST 2006

Dear Jonathan and other developers,

Thanks for the reply. About the memory size, I was specifying
wannier_plot_supercell = 3 without thinking carefully. I was watching
the process using top command after a few of my jobs crashed, and
noticed that it goes beyond 10GB, then machine's response gets
extremely slow (I managed to kill the process though). With
wannier_plot_supercell = 3, the memory size is around 24GB (?), so,
it is understandable.

One feed back. For beta-boron (105 atom cell), one has to start with
using fixed_step at a smaller value than the default (I used 1), for
a couple of ten iterations, then, switch to the normal line
minimization. Otherwise, the calculation gets stuck somewhere; even
with num_iter = 5, the code did not write on STDOUT at all for
several hours, and I gave up. It may be helpful if the code either
halts or writes a warning if the line minimization steps gets too many.

I've tried larger values for number of bands, but it did not work.
Simply the spreads diverge over wide range of values from less than 1
to over 50.

My current understanding is as follows: Beta-boron's bonding
character is covalent, although it has a Fermi surface (large hole in
the valence band). Therefore it might be important to limit the
subspace for wannierisation within the valence band (i.e. include the
hole states in the valence band).  Indeed, this strategy together
with 4x4x4 k-points grid seem to give a reasonable result. Any
comment will be appreciated.

Jonathan, I'll try your suggestions, the quality of band
interpolation and if MLWF real.

Many thanks for your help.

Best,
Tadashi Ogitsu