[QE-users] Symmetry Operations in Reciprocal Space

Ankit Sharma ankitub31 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 21 13:04:24 CET 2019

Hi,
I am sorry for the sloppiness.
I generated a list of k points setting nosym and noinv to TRUE in scf
calculation for a system with 2/m point group symmetry. I also generated
the k point list with full symmetry consideration by setting the above two
flags to FALSE.  Apart from identity, there are 3 more symmetry Operations
with inversion, 180° rotation and inv. 180° rotation.

Now I apply the symmetry operation of the point group manually to the list
of k points with no symmetry and try to match the output with that of the
symmetry reduced k point list generated above.

The number of points obtained don't match. I get more points than that
generated by QE with full symmetry consideration. Am I conceptually wrong?

Thanks
Ankit Sharma
University at Buffalo