[QE-users] Negatively charged isolated molecule

Giuseppe Mattioli giuseppe.mattioli at ism.cnr.it
Tue Mar 19 14:16:32 CET 2019

Dear Ernane

> Is there a way of estimating this Jellium contribution and somehow discount
> it from the total energy?

> Is this necessary?

Periodic boundary conditions are fantastic for a lot of things (FFT,
plane waves, scaling, etc,), but particular care, which is not
necessary in the case of typical GTO calculations, must be given to
the calculation of electrostatic energy. In particular, the efficient
Ewald partition of Coulomb interactions in PBC diverges in the case of
charged species. a diffuse countercharge (aka jellium) is therefore
necessary, but it is also a source of error, as shown by Makov and
Payne a lot of time ago.

> The assume isolated schemes deal with this and already provide a correct
> energy?

There are a lot of correction schemes, but AFAIK it is not possible to
calculate "additive" total energy values in PBC for charged species,
that is, additive in the sense that the energy difference of A and A+
calculated in a given supercell is a meaningful estimate of the
ionization energy of A.

If you want to read something, this (and the references therein) may
be a good starting point

PHYSICAL REVIEW B 77, 115139, 2008

HTH
Giuseppe