[QE-users] ph.x from v6.3 reads wrong celldm

Prof. Raphael Longuinhos Monteiro Lobato raphael.lobato at ufla.br
Wed Mar 13 19:04:47 CET 2019

Hi,

Back on the celldm post (sorry for the six months delay to reply ... I
will bring back some parts to remember):
http://lists.quantum-espresso.org/pipermail/users/2018-October/041418.html

and

http://lists.quantum-espresso.org/pipermail/users/2018-October/041419.html

Previously, I wrote:
+==
ph.x from pre-release q-e-qe-6.3Max reads from outdir unexpected values
for celldm and writes these in the header of .dyn . It leads to
"rescaled" distances in .axsf and polarizability in the dynmat.x out
(omega, IR, Raman tensor and depolarization factor are as expected).
Hand-correcting the .dyn header (correct values for celldm) solves it.

Tests in v6.2 and 6.2.2 leads to expected results (they read from outdir
the expected values for celldm). ph.x prints wrong celldm while reading
from outdir ... it is not related to io_dyn_mat write_dyn_mat_header ...
also, the .xml files are the same.
+==

Prof. Giannozzi mentioned that
https://gitlab.com/QEF/q-e/commit/9a579539b65bd1502d1f28747e483a1d1059f5f8

could have solved the issue. Maybe I'm missing something, but it appears
it did not.

The issue on the celldm can lead to other unexpected differences on
post-processing the dyn.

In my case, the high-frequency (low frequency is okay) phonon dispersion
near Gamma calculated with the original (wrong) celldm values and the
ones using hand-correcting values are somewhat different. As example,
the high-frequency LO mode obtained with the wrong cell_dm seems
quadratic (or some d^2f/dk^2 >0 dependency) like using no LR
electrostatics, while it becomes linear-like (I would expect some thing
like that) when using the correct cell_dm. It is show in the images in
appended. Also, there are some "discontinuities" in the branches I not
used to see on results. Also, there are some extra inflection points in
the region I show in the graphs that I would not expect (these appears
using no LR electrostatics).

Note: The system is expected to be polar semiconductor. In the graphs nq
07x07x01 and 14x14x01 uses nk is 14x14x1 (spacing of ~0.03*2pi/A).
Later, I used both nk and nq of 16x16x01. Orange diamonds are direct 2D
DFPT calculations (nk 14x14x01 or 16x16x01 leads to identical results in
these direct 2D DFPT calculations). The highest frequency modes from
direct 2D DFPT and from interpolation of dynmat are some what different
(maybe the interpolation is not converged). Data with cell_dm corrected
values are also indicated.

I will repeat all these using those versions I reported correctly
reading cell_dm values.

Hope all it is not a "false alarm" (some unnoticed error of my part).
Sorry bring problems, not solutions.

Best,

--
Associate Professor Raphael Longuinhos Monteiro Lobato
CV: http://lattes.cnpq.br/1475483971471395.