[QE-users] Question on CPMD

Riccardo Bertossa rbertoss at sissa.it
Thu Jan 17 19:24:04 CET 2019

dear LIANG,

when you run in the NVE you should have something like this:

if I am not wrong:

ekinc is the kinetic energy of the electrons

etot is the total potential energy (calculated with DFT)

econs is the energy that to make a good simulation you want to make as
constant as possible, but it will oscillate because electrons have a
mass and a kinetic energy, so it will never be constant.

econt is the constant of motion of the CP lagrangian, and this must
always remain approximately constant, within the integration error of
the verlet algorithm. If it is not constant your simulation is not good
and you have to change some parameters.

best regards,

Riccardo Bertossa

SISSA