[QE-users] large negative rho

Nicola Marzari nicola.marzari at epfl.ch
Fri Jan 4 21:20:56 CET 2019

Dear Katharina,

good reminder, and I'm not sure what the consensus is.

I vaguely recall that if the augmentation charges are "hard"
(very localized), the pseudization of the q_ij function
ifqopt,nqf,qtryc,nfix (see discussion in
http://physics.rutgers.edu/~dhv/uspp/uspp-736/Doc/INPUT_GEN)
can give rise to a Gibbs phenomenon (if you try to interpolate
something hard like a step, you go negative).

For this reason, the CP code (that resricts to the small boxes nr1b
nr2b nr3b with fine resolution the action of the uspp) doesn't suffer
from this problem, that happens away from the core (PWscf has fine
resolution everywhere, in the action of the uspp).

Now, this should also have been seen in the pseudopotential generation
(see "negative densities" in
http://physics.rutgers.edu/~dhv/uspp/uspp-736/Doc/TUTORIAL), so I'm the
first one at a loss (of density).

				nicola