[QE-users] large negative rho

K. Doblhoff-Dier k.doblhoff-dier at umail.leidenuniv.nl
Tue Feb 19 08:56:49 CET 2019

Dear Nicola,

Thank you for your answer and sorry for my late reply. The argument with
the Gibbs phenomena would make sense to me. Your argument, however, that
this should have become obvious in the pseudopotential generation does
not become clear to me yet: Would the Vanderbilt code not only complain,
if it were to suggest 'real' negative densities? ('real' meaning "before
interpolating the augmentation charges to a grid and then evaluating it
on an even finer grid").
I guess the question is not the most pressing one - for the time being I
simply switched to a different pseudopotential. It is more my own
curiosity that drives me to wanting to understand the issue. Also, it
seems to me as if the presence of negative densities weren't really
hurting the calculations (except for the fact that they are somewhat
tricky to converge), suggesting that one may be able to ignore the
warning, but I am not willing to do so before I haven't understood its
origin and can judge on a more scientific basis than "from the few
calculations I did it seems as if...".

Thank you and best regards,

Katharina