[QE-users] Convergence in Hexagonal Systems

Dr. Thomas Brumme thomas.brumme at uni-leipzig.de
Sat Feb 9 23:08:21 CET 2019

Dear Dr. Anuja Chanana,

without more information, we (everyone here in this users list) can't
help you.
What do you mean with "difficult to reach on convergence"? How do you
test convergence?

Is an scf cycle not converging? Assuming you calculate a "meaningful"
structure, this
could either mean you need to increase the wave-function or the
charge-density cutoff
or both. Or the k-point sampling. Again, I don't think it is a problem
of the pseudo.
For both N and B, creating pseudos is pretty straightforward and I
don't think the
pseudos of the PSlibrary are wrong or bad. On the other hand, looking
at this site:

https://www.materialscloud.org/discover/sssp/plot/efficiency/N

I see that for a nitrogen PBE US pseudo of the PSLibrary a cutoff of
40 Ry might be
just too small, especially when you want to relax the cell. For
accurate forces and
pressure you always need a higher cutoff. (PBE is nearly PW91 but for
the latter, I
guess, you need a higher cutoff)

What do you mean with "its difficult to reach on convergence"?
Furthermore, why do
you use a smearing if the system is an insulator?

Regards

Thomas

P.S.: Please, always reply to "All", i.e., also to the list, so that
others can
find the answer if they have the same problem.