[QE-users] OpenFabrics (openib) BTL failed to initialize

Sai Pavan Chitta chitta.sai at iitgn.ac.in
Tue Sep 25 06:56:12 CEST 2018

Hello All,

I have tried to run a phonon calculation in the HPC where a single node has
a total accessible memory of 64 GB. I do not have any error when I run the
calculation on a single node but have the following error in the header of
the ph.out file.

The OpenFabrics (openib) BTL failed to initialize while trying to
allocate some locked memory.  This typically can indicate that the
memlock limits are set too low.  For most HPC installations, the
memlock limits should be set to "unlimited".  The failure occured
here:

  Local host:    node7
  OMPI source:   btl_openib.c:794
  Function:      ompi_free_list_init_ex_new()
  Device:        mlx4_0
  Memlock limit: 65536

You may need to consult with your system administrator to get this
problem fixed.  This FAQ entry on the Open MPI web site may also be
helpful:

    http://www.open-mpi.org/faq/?category=openfabrics#ib-locked-pages

I have encountered the error in the previous calculations too. Please let
me know if It will affect the calculation and also if I can safely ignore
it.

The phonon calculation with a k-mesh of 2*2*2 took about a day. To increase
the accuracy, I have increased the number of points to 8*8*1. Can I know by
how many times does the computational time increase? The calculation has
been running since the past 5 days and has only completed 6 of the 21
K-points.

Your reply would be helpful.

Regards
Sai Pavan Chitta