[QE-users] Convergence and the "dual": norm-conserving vs PAW

Nicola Marzari nicola.marzari at epfl.ch
Fri Sep 7 14:58:20 CEST 2018

Hi Christoph,

a dual of 2 is cutting a lot of corners for norm-conserving
pseudopotentials (where a dual of 4 is mathematically perfect,
and one of ~3 could actually work).

Convergence in the total energy for norm-conserving at dual of 4
is strictly variational, but also not very interesting as a criterion.

The phonon frequencies are an interesting criterion, but are not
variational.

So, there is nothing fool proof - but a preponderance of evidence
helps feeling better - this is discussed at length here:
https://arxiv.org/abs/1806.05609

				nicola