[QE-users] Trouble reading Atomic Positions from CIF file

Pietro Davide Delugas pdelugas at sissa.it
Wed Oct 31 10:10:28 CET 2018

Dear Aziz

you can use the CIF file coordinates directly   using the crystal_sg
format for the coordinates in atomic positions, and specify the
space_group number in the system namelist ( please look at the input
documentation ).

This information is all contained in the CIF file. You were also using
the wrong ibrav,
if you look at the  axes angles you can see that A and B axes are
orthogonal to C axis and they form a 120 angle between them so I guess
should be ibrav=4 not 5.

Other thing for the CIF files includes 3 coordinates even for the 3a
positions, 2 of them are redundant and I don't know why the programs
stops instead of ignoring them so you have to take them off the input.

You can find more information about any wyckoff position in this site

http://www.cryst.ehu.es/cryst/get_wp.html

I attach an input file with Wyckoff position for your case, I hope it works

regards - Pietro