[QE-users] Unit for the output of average.x

Dingfu Shao dingfu.shao at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 19:33:01 CEST 2018

Dear Giovanni and Paolo,

Thanks very much for your suggestions.

I reconsidered the definition of the local density of states (say,
LD(x,y,z,E)). Since it is "local", the unit of it should be
states/eV/bohr^3 or electrons/eV/bohr^3. Therefore, the integration of it
within an energy window should lead to the charge density in this energy
window: electrons/bohr^3 . Therefore, if we choose the energy window from
the lowest energy to the Fermi energy, we should get exactly the total
charge density.

So I did some tests following Giovanni's suggestion, using a simple case of
momolayer MoS2, which has "number of electrons  =   26.00". The area of its
xy plane is S. For those tests, the previous scf and nscf calculations are
the same, with LDA USPP,  the occupation= 'fixed', and k-points of 40*40*1
for scf and 100*100*1 for nscf.

1. I  calculated the total charge density (rho(x,y,z)) using pp.x with
plot_num = 0, and then calculate the planar average of it (rho_avg(z)).
Then I integrated it by \int (S* rho_avg(z)) dz and I got 25.89. It is
close to 26.00, maybe a more accurate value can be obtained by a
calculation with denser k points.

2. I calculated the integrated local density of states  ( ILD(x,y,z)) from
-65 eV (this energy is below the lower band) to Fermi energy using pp.x
with plot_num =10, and and then calculate the planar average of it (
ILD_avg(z) ). When I integrated it by \int (S* ILD_avg(z)) dz, I got 29.25,
which is much larger than the total number of electrons of 26.

 So it seems the the test 2 doesn't correctly reflect the  reality. I am
not sure it is due to something happened with plot_num = 10 in pp.x, or
just I understand this incorrectly.

Any suggestions? Thank you very much!

Best,

Ding-Fu