[QE-users] S matrix not positive definite

Lorenzo Paulatto paulatz at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 11:16:31 CEST 2018

Hello,
have you put many empty bands in the nscf calculation?
You can only include a limited number of empty bands before running into
troubles: either because the pseudopotentials are not transferable to
such high energies, or because you don't have enough plane-waves to
represent such high energy states.

Otherwise, it may be that your system has a very tiny gap, or no gap at
all at a specific k-point that was not included in the SCF calculation,
but is in the NSCF one.

kind regards

Lorenzo Paulatto - Paris