[QE-users] Projected DOS with Spin-Orbit Coupling

Dr. Thomas Brumme thomas.brumme at uni-leipzig.de
Wed Oct 3 14:16:24 CEST 2018

Dear Asad,

about the order I'm not sure, but with SOC you cannot think of px or
py or dxy anymore.
For more details, see e.g. this paper:

https://journals.aps.org/prb/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevB.71.115106

working through the math you'll see that every, e.g., d-state can and
will couple to
a lot or even all other d-states... With SOC, there is nothing like px
or py. You can
however plot the eigenfunction itself and then have a look whether it
resembles such
a state.

Regards

Thomas

--
Dr. rer. nat. Thomas Brumme
Wilhelm-Ostwald-Institute for Physical and Theoretical Chemistry