[QE-users] on the use of tb09 functional from libxc

José Carlos Conesa jcconesa at icp.csic.es
Thu May 17 07:57:37 CEST 2018

Hi,

What I could verify is that, in a simple test on rutile TiO2, I obtain
the same total energy (to within 10**(-7) Ry) with any of these lines in
the input file:

input_dft='sla+pw+tb09+tb09'

input_dft='pw+pbc+tb09+tb09'

input_dft="noc+nogc+tb09+tb09"

The first case is the one specified in the Modules/funct.f90 file as
equivalent to input_dft='tb09', the second one corresponds to having gga
correlation, the last one, to using no correlation at all. One can
understand this since the said file contains these lines:

     ! special case : TB09 meta-GGA Exc
     else IF ('TB09'.EQ. TRIM(dftout) ) THEN
        dft_defined = set_dft_values(0,0,0,0,0,3)

I think that since the original mBJ functional was defined as including
LDA correlation, this should be changed. Preferably, by allowing the
user to specify the type of correlation (s)he desires. I wonder if just
suppressing in the said file the three lines mentioned above would be
enough.

Regards,

JC Conesa

Marie Curie 2, Madrid, Spain