[QE-users] Enthalpy report in vc-relax runs

Lorenzo Monacelli lorenzo.monacelli at roma1.infn.it
Sun Jun 24 13:17:57 CEST 2018

Hi,

The final enthalpy is not computed with the same wavefunction as the
final energy.

This is because the number of wave-function is chosen by the original
cutoff according to the original volume, and kept fixed during the whole
relax.

However, since you are changing the volume, the number of wavefunction
that satisfy the cutoff condition changes. This is why at the end of the
vc-relax pw automatically does an extra scf calculation, redetermining
the number of wf to use by the original cutoff at the final volume.

This is why energy / forces and stress tensor of the last calculation
differs a bit from the last relaxation step (even if the cell and the
atoms are the same).

The enthalpy printed is computed in the last step of vc-relax, while the
energy you are taking is computed in the last scf calculation.

Therefore the correct result of the enthalpy is the one you performed
manually adding the PV factor to the energy (note that this difference
should go to zero as the cutoff -> infinity).

Bests,

LM