[QE-users] Using charge density from previous calculation as starting point for different k-point grid

Marcos Veríssimo Alves marcos.verissimo.alves at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 18:10:14 CEST 2018

Hi all,

I am performing a calculation for a 129-atom system including Fe, which
demands rather large values of ecutwfc and ecutrho with respect to other
elements present (Cu and N). I have performed a spin-polarized scf
calculation for my slab using a 5x5x3 Monkhorst-Pack grid, and now I'd like
to re-run the calculation with a denser k-point mesh (say, 8x8x6).

The thing is, it would be good to use the charge density and wavefunctions
from the previous calculation as input to the new calculations, in order to
save time. However, since the wavefunctions are written for the different
k-points used in the particular calculation (assuming that the default
value of wf_collect=.true.), how could I restart the calculation with a
denser k-mesh using as much data as possible from the previous calculation?

Sorry if this is a too basic question, but I have searched the
documentation and could not find it. Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Marcos