[QE-users] dipole correction - "saggy" electrostatic potential?

Dr. Thomas Brumme thomas.brumme at uni-leipzig.de
Mon Jul 2 07:57:57 CEST 2018

Dear Chris,

adding to my last reply: in the end, it all, of course, depends on what
you want to simulate. If you're aiming for a charged species on a surface
then assume_isolated='2D' might be wrong if you don't increase the slab
(mimicking the surface of a bulk material) such that the electric field
at the bottom does not influence the top. It might be worth to also look
at my implementation of a gate setup (gate=.true.) or to wait till the
author of assume_isolated='2D', Thibault Sohier, releases his implementation
including the gate setup. Gate? Maybe check this paper to see why this
could be useful:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0169433218315022

As I said, it all depends on the situation you want to simulate. But a
flat potential with the same absolute value on both sides of the system
is rarely correct for a charged system.

Regards

Thomas