[Pw_forum] Problem with ld1.x

Giuseppe Mattioli giuseppe.mattioli at ism.cnr.it
Tue Jan 30 14:01:28 CET 2018

Dear Eleni

> The point of putting the 3d state into the valence is so that I can
> perform electronic minimization with a core-hole.

I don't understand this statement. In plane wave calculations you
cannot place a core hole in a valence shell. You can embed the core
hole within the pseudopotential instead. It is quite easy in the case
of the K edge (1s core hole). You can find a lot of "1sstar"
preudopotential in the online library, generated for XPS calculations.
It is not at all straightforward in the case of a shell with l>0,
where a proper treatment would imply a fully relativistic (i.e., with
spin-orbit coupling) all-electron calculation.
HTH
Giuseppe

Quoting elchatz at auth.gr: