[Pw_forum] FFT parallel bug with GCC+MPICH2 under Windows

GAO Zhe flux_ray12 at 163.com
Thu Jan 18 08:31:00 CET 2018

Hi, QE developers and users,

I am trying to compile 6.2 version QE under Windows with MPICH2 parallel. After successfully compiling, I noticed the software took place error at very beginning as following:
     Parallelization info
     --------------------
     sticks:   dense  smooth     PW     G-vecs:    dense   smooth      PW
     Min           0       0      0                    0        0       0
     Max           1       1      1                    1        1       1
     Sum           1       1      1                    1        1       1
Since the same problem was seen in previous version (5.4.0), so I tried to modify the code in file FFTXLib/stick_base.f90. However, it was noticed that the source code of stick_base.f90 was changed a lot. Using the similar method as done for v5.4.0, the same error remained.
More detailed. In v5.4.0, a simple modification in subroutine stick_maps can solve the trouble, but in v6.2, there is no stick_maps which was replaced by stick_map_allocation, stick_map_set, stick_map_index and stick_map_deallocate. Simply changing the similar part in stick_map_set does not lead to right parallization information. By adding more break points, it was found the array size of st was defined by lb(2) and ub(2). But, four elements in the two arrays all equaled to ZERO.
Because stick_map_set was called by get_sticks, lb(2) and ub(2), corresponding to smap%lb(2) and smap%ub(2), were checked at beginning of the subroutine. Unfortunately, they also equaled to ZERO. The following tracing was suspended owing to no idea which subroutine calls get_sticks.
It is also noticed that this problem can be only occurred while compiling QE with GCC and official MPICH2 (1.4.1p1, in win64 msi) through MinGW platform (including MinGW, MinGW-w64, Msys2, etc).
Could any people suggest me how to avoid / solve this probem?
Thank you very much in advance,
Best Regards,

--
GAO Zhe, Dr.,
Senior Research Engineer,

No. 55, Wenjing-road, Minhang-district, Shanghai, China,
Tel: +86-21-5475-7251