[Pw_forum] Is it possible to calculated IR and Raman spectra for molecules adsorbed on metal surfaces

Ari P Seitsonen Ari.P.Seitsonen at iki.fi
Thu Jan 11 10:18:44 CET 2018

Dear Jibiao Li,

   A late reply, but: It is not possible to "isolate" the molecule in the
calculation nor in the experiment, as any photon hitting the system might
cause an electronic excitation, either at the molecule or the surface, so
the intensity of the spectrum would be beyond the non-resonant regime.

   The crude approximation is to calculate the vibrational modes and try to
correlate those with experiments - without the intensity (but maybe with
the selection rules from symmetry). Next, you might try to move the atoms
along the normal modes and see if you get something useful from the
variation/derivative of the dipole/polarisability. But, as said, also in
the experiment there could be any excitations, thus smearing the
intensities.

     Greetings from Paris,

        apsi

   Ari Paavo Seitsonen / Ari.P.Seitsonen at iki.fi / http://www.iki.fi/~apsi/
     Ecole Normale Supérieure (ENS), Département de Chimie, Paris
     Mobile (F) : +33 789 37 24 25    (CH) : +41 79 71 90 935