[Pw_forum] Color centers and charge states

Giuseppe Mattioli giuseppe.mattioli at ism.cnr.it
Tue Feb 20 10:46:41 CET 2018

Dear Chris
Let me also add that you must find a correct and cost-effective
balance between a good description of point-defect properties (defects
and dopants are usually responsible for color) and of the overall DOS
(absorption transitions often involve the quantitative promotion of
localized electrons to DOS maxima rather then to band extrema). There
is a nice and very friendly review written by Cristiana Di Valentin
and Gianfranco Pacchioni,

Acc. Chem. Res. 2014, 47, 3233

which suggests the usage of EXX functionals and (where suitable) the
implementation of the "post calculation" machinery of transition
levels to estimate the optical an thermodynamical positions of
defect/dopant levels within the semiconductor/insulator band gap.
HTH
Giuseppe

Quoting Christoph Wolf <wolf.christoph at qns.science>:

> Dear Nicola,
>
> thank you for your comment, this was very helpful to get me started!
>
> Best,
> Chris
>
> --
> Postdoctoral Researcher
> Center for Quantum Nanoscience, Institute for Basic Science
> Ewha Womans University, Seoul, South Korea

GIUSEPPE MATTIOLI
Via Salaria Km 29,300 - C.P. 10
I-00015 - Monterotondo Scalo (RM)
Mob (*preferred*) +39 373 7305625
Tel + 39 06 90672342 - Fax +39 06 90672316