[Pw_forum] Problem regarding identification of space group of Zr15Nb1 cell

Michael Mehl mmehl at usna.edu
Sat Feb 10 17:30:28 CET 2018

It's impossible for space group #194 to have 15 atoms of one species and 1
atom of another species -- there aren't any Wyckoff positions in P6_3/mmc
that contain only one point.

What you've done eliminates the inversion operation, which changes #194 to
#187.

Take a look at both space groups in the International Tables or
http://www.cryst.ehu.es/cryst/get_wp.html and you'll see this.

--

[image: USNA_Gold_Seal.png]

Michael J. Mehl, Ph.D.