[QE-users] NVE simulation in cp.x - large fluctuation in temperature

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Sat Apr 14 17:27:18 CEST 2018

Dear Jie Peng,

  suppose you were running a model harmonic system in 1 dimension.

   M a = - K x

  at fixed energy  E.

  The kinetic energy would fluctuate harmonically between 0 (at
maximum/minimum elongation) and E at the equilibrium distance .

  On average the Kinetic energy would be E/2 and its fluctuation some
big fraction of E^2

  Something like sigma^2 = 1/T \int_0^T (E cos^2(2pi t/T) -E/2)^2 dt =
E^2 1/T \int_0^T (cos(4pi t/T)/2)^2 dt = (E/2)^2 1/2pi \int_0^2pi
cos^2(x) dx = (E/2)^2 / 2

   or

   sigma =  1/sqrt(2) * E/2 = 1/sqrt(2) avg EKin

   with 1 degree of freedom the mean square fluctuation of the kinetic
energy is 70% of its average !

   you have 3 atoms in your cell hence 9 degrees of freedom. Assuming
each contributes independently to the average this goes down by a factor
1/sqrt(9)=1/3

   actually more likely just 1/sqrt(6) as the total momentum is
conserved so only 6 modes at Gamma are actually excited...

   If you perform your simulation in a bigger supercell with more atoms
(more degrees of freedom) the average will be more stable     (
proportionally to  1/sqrt(#deg.of.freedom-3 )  ... moreover the thermal
excitations of vibrational modes will be sampled more faithfully.

   best

stefano