[Pw_forum] phonon calculation

Lorenzo Paulatto lorenzo.paulatto at impmc.upmc.fr
Tue Sep 26 10:51:33 CEST 2017

Dear Suchitra,
as long as you are at Gamma, there is a chance that a finite difference
(a.k.a. frozen phonons) calculation be faster, or at least easier to run
in smaller chunks, than linear response. But I really see no way around
the X point, it will require a supercell.

I honestly think that your best bet would be to use some localized basis
set code, it is handy to have some plane wave results to compare, as it
can be quite difficult to ensure that the localized basis sets are
converged.

Carbon nanotubes are very well tested, and there is plenty of literature
on the subject, e.g. from the open source code CP2K. See Phys. Rev.
Lett. 103, 096102.

That said, an analysis of anharmonicity in perturbation theory, as done
by the d3q-thermal2 codes, as well as the competing codes phono3py or
ShengBTE, is probably prohibitive, even if based on a fast localized
basis set code. For example, the 3-body force constant matrices with 64
atoms, for a 2x2x1 grid, would take 8*(2*2*1*3*64)^3 bytes, i.e. more
than 3.5 GB of memory, which is unmanageable. Sticking with the Gamma
point for the anharmonic part is probably required.

Keep in mind that Fourier interpolation will still allow you to get some
dispersion, and that the fine structure of phonon linewidths comes from
the joint density of states, more than the actual values of the 3rd
order dynamical "matrices".