[Pw_forum] Fwd: phonon calculation

Lorenzo Paulatto lorenzo.paulatto at impmc.upmc.fr
Thu Sep 21 12:08:19 CEST 2017

On 21/09/17 07:54, Suchitra Kumari wrote:
> I am looking for phonon calculation for silicon nanowire using QE6.0.
> Because of the complex structure and larger number of atoms (64), the
> calculation is taking too much time and not converging till the end.
> Will there be any extra parameters are to be incorporated for phonon
> computations ?

Dear Suchitra,

1. Do you manage to converge at least one q-point, or not at all?
Because the first q-point Gamma=(0,0,0) is usually faster than the
following ones (if you have any symmetry). If you do not manage to
complete at least Gamma, the other ones will be worst.

2. If you do manage to complete one point, it is better to run them
one-by-one, using start_q and last_q.

3. Do you really need to save the rotated charge density
(drho_star%open=.true.)? This part can take some time and a lot of
memory, but it is only used by third order calculation. A d3 calculation
is prohibitive with 64 atoms anyway, in any case it is much longer than
the phonon calculation.

4. Do you really need 8 q-points (I guess your nanotube is oriented
along z)? You are assuming that there is significant ion-ion interaction
up to 8 unit cells away. An 8x8x1 grid is largely sufficient for
graphene, which only has a much smaller unit cell, with just 2 atoms.

--
Dr. Lorenzo Paulatto
IdR @ IMPMC -- CNRS & Université Paris 6